The Sally Field Effect

"... I can't deny the fact that you like me, right now, you like me!"

And I can't deny that Sally Field's 1984 Academy Awards acceptance speech for "Places in the Heart" is what echoes through my brain each time one of my photos gets a lot of votes on GuruShots.  Or when strangers at a craft show tell me that I do beautiful work.  Or when I post a photo on Facebook or Instagram and it gets a lot of likes.  


On GuruShots, there are no "big" prizes....for the very top photographers, there are some things, but there are thousands and thousands of entries, so I do realize that the chances of being in that position are quite slim.  But I like to see which pictures do well and how high up in the rankings I can get for a particular challenge.  I've only hit the highest category once, and that was early on, so I know it's possible....but very difficult to get there.


At craft shows, I may not sell a lot, but I still enjoy them, if there are people browsing.  And when I do sell something, it's a bit of a rush, I'll admit.  But I'm not making a profit....not yet.  Yet, I want to continue doing them...to try to figure out how to do them right, I suppose.

After posting photos online, I do love the likes and positive comments.  Of course, I know that on Facebook and Instagram, most of the people who like a photo are my friends and your friends love you no matter what.  

Conversely, if a photo doesn't do well or if people don't stop at a show to browse, I wonder what's wrong.  Is there something I could do better?  Is this photo not as wonderful as I think it is?  Is my display at the show not attractive?  Are my prices too high?  Should I just give up on this whole thing and go get a part-time job?  


This one, for example, is a photo that I absolutely love....but it didn't do that well in a
GuruShots challenge and it didn't get chosen for an exhibition.  I still love it.

All of this makes me think back to my days of being a Psychology major--what motivates people to do what they do?  Are we all just rats in a maze, trying to find our way to the end and we just need the right rewards?  Obviously, praise is a big motivator for me.  Perhaps more than monetary rewards....well, the two CAN go hand in hand, naturally... :)  

Just my thoughts on a Wednesday morning.  

Comments

Popular Posts