Wind is a powerful force...

The before picture....I was so happy with how my booth looked!

Saturday's craft show was not fun, due to the steady rain/drizzle/downpour, but once I was set up in my snug walled canopy, I was dry, if not warm. Patrons were not plentiful, but I did sell enough to cover my expenses, plus a little more, so, at this point, I consider that a success.
Around noon, it became obvious that the rain was not going to go away (despite the many times I'd hummed "Rain, rain, go away, come again another day" in my head). The few people who walked by did so hurriedly, under their umbrellas, more intent on getting the free redbud sapling being offered than on browsing vendors' wares. Crafters began to pack up and head out. After it seemed that about half had left, I decided that I would do the same. I was able to pull my car into empty space next to me so that I could more easily load it up.
It was a soggy endeavor. The rain was coming down pretty steadily, but I managed to get most everything packed into the Highlander...2 of the 3 tables, soaked tablecloths, rack, several boxes of coasters, matted photos, notecards and framed photos. All that remained was my chair, a blanket, a couple of odds and ends, and the canopy.
It was breezy, but I didn't think the wind was a concern. I took the weight off of one of the canopy legs and then turned to the car to get the box for the weights. The unweighted leg lifted a bit when a slight gust came through. I hastily threw the weight back on the leg, but not securely. I turned to the car again and heard the canopy slide. The back leg of the canopy was against the sidewalk curb and there was a little river running along that curb. The weight that had been holding that leg had apparently floated itself away from the leg.
The next few seconds are unclear. I know I tried to grab the canopy, to lower the legs so that it was less of a target for the increasing breezes, but before I could accomplish that prophylactic measure, the wind grabbed the tent and flipped it on its side. Then somehow it was on its top and skittering across the asphalt, attempting drunken cartwheels in the middle of the street.
Panic began to well up as I tried to right the tent, but was unable to do so. A sweet lady was passing by and asked if she could help, but I didn't even know what to ask her to do. Nearby vendors had either gone or they were inside their own tents, unaware of my plight. Finally, I was able to telescope the legs and take the walls off. With its shortened legs, I managed to flip it over. I could see that one of the metal supports was broken and another bent. The roof, which had kept me so nice and dry, was ripped from its contact with the road. With quite a bit of effort, I got it folded up and shoved into the back of my vehicle. I managed not to cry until I was sitting in the driver's seat and then I think I allowed myself a full 10 or 15 minutes of tears. I do, however need to apologize to anyone in the town of Dayton who heard me yell the F word as I realized that my soggy chair still had to fit into my car after I shoved the canopy in.
Well, it remains to be seen if the canopy can be repaired. I tend to think it's a goner.  Lesson learned...the weights are very, VERY important...

Comments

Popular Posts